Tuesday, July 07, 2009

T-Storm Cleansing

It's mid-day here, and yet I'm huddled in the dark over my keyboard thanks to yet another thunderstorm. The TV keeps blaring the Severe Thunderstorm Warning, and I can hear the cracks and rolls of thunder getting louder. OK, fine, I'm not huddled but here I sit in the dark at 1:49 PM thankful that we have a circuit breaker protector in place. The weather man appears to have been right, so I'm relieved that I did my yard work for the day this morning while there was still sun and fair-weather clouds.

What I'd really like to do right now is pull the blankets over my head in bed because I have some migraine vision issues coming on, but what I'm supposed to be doing is taking the kids to the grocery store to get a few odds and ends, including a few key ingredients for dinner tonight. Instead, I'm marveling at the darkness outside. I'm starting to hear the telltale plink-plink of rain hitting the windows, and it feels like it could start pouring any minute. I'm sure that it will.

That said, I'm actually looking forward to yet another thunder storm. Normally the lightning gives me high anxiety, and I'm not looking forward to that part, but I don't mind the rest so much. Especially since afterwards there's almost always a feeling that the Earth has been scrubbed clean… not just cleansing the yard work mess such as loosened dirt and swirling clips of weeds and grass. But the entire ground, the plants, the streets, and even the very air itself. For a few moments after it downpours from a thunderstorm, everything is fresh and clean until the pollution and noise of traffic both on the roads and in the air take center stage again. The birds sing crazily right before and at the tail end of the downpours as if they're celebrating the showers. It's really quite humbling.

So there's my nature ramble for the day. I think it's time to shut things off. I'd hate to blow a fuse.

No comments: