Friday, December 15, 2006

Who Decided...

Who decided that having coffee in a mug and cereal in a bowl was "the thing to do?" Why don't we seriously just dump our coffee-with-sugar-and-cream directly into our bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats? Not that I need to be saving a step in the mornings because I'm not rushing out the door for work, but I still get up and need that kick-in-the-ass that coffee offers, and aiming the coffee directly into my bowl of cereal would drastically reduce the chance of spillage. Think about it, you have to pour something into something else FIVE separate times and trust that your aim is accurate, even though history proves over and over that you're a clutz.

  1. Pour your coffee into mug.
  2. Pour some sugar into coffee mug.
  3. Pour some cream/milk into coffee mug.
  4. Pour cereal into bowl.
  5. Pour milk into bowl.

This could be beneficially reduced by only having to pour something 3 times, you reduce the amount of sugar you're consuming since the cereal is pre-sweetened, AND you have the added benefit of the bowl being a wider target than a coffee mug.

  1. Pour cereal into bowl.
  2. Pour coffee into bowl.
  3. Drizzle in some cream.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? It seems rather logical, at least as I sit here with droopy eyes and a mug of coffee, eating Frosted Mini-Wheats from the box because I'm too lazy to get up and get a bowl and try to pour milk without spilling it today. I already spilled getting milk into the girls' bowls, and made an egg for Anneliese just so I wouldn't risk spilling her milk too.

See, I think of this as the same thing as the genius who decided that combining flour, eggs, milk and sugar would be a neat experiment and ended up with cake. Hell, the person who decided to take some wheat, dry it, pound it until it became a powder was a genius too. Who would have ever thought to do that for the first time? Who was the gifted person who discovered that coffee beans needed a process to produce coffee grounds, and then to filter water through stuff that looked like dirt, and drink it? How did we get from "Eew, ugly brown berries!" to "I wonder what those would taste like?" to "Ewww those taste nasty and bitter, but I'd bet they'd be great if I drink them somehow!" to "OMG coffee with cream and sugar is divine, and wow is that caffeine a lifesaver or what?" to "Yay! Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts on every corner!" Not to mention the absolute, sheer hutzpah of the person who mixed coffee and cappuccino with ice cream. Now that is a creation worth being grateful for. Which I am. I can prove it if you read my last gratefulness journal.

By the way, we could go through this whole thought process with ice cream too. Really, who decided that squeezing the teats of a cow would be worth the risk of getting a hoof in the head, let alone adding sugar, fruit, flavorings, and chilling & churning it?

The world may never know. At least, I won't, for now, because I don't feel like googling to find out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Really, who decided that squeezing the teats of a cow would be worth the risk of getting a hoof in the head, let alone adding sugar, fruit, flavorings, and chilling & churning it?"

...LMAO-You can really make one think Jessica!