Thursday, January 04, 2007

Just For Today... NYR 2007

A classic Dear Abby. I think this will be my Resolution for this year.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will live through this day only. I will not brood about
yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to
overcome all of my problems at once.

I know that I can do something for
24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that
depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it
with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will accept what is. I will face
reality. I will correct those things I can correct, and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will improve my mind. I will read something that
requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will
be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of
others. I will improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when
someone else is talking.

Just for today, I will refrain from improving
anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will do something positive to
improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I am overweight, I will eat
healthfully -- if only just for today. And not only that, I will get off the
couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST
FOR TODAY: I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility
for my own actions.
And now, Dear Readers, I would like to share an item
that was sent to me by I.J. Bhatia, who lives in New Delhi, India:

"DEAR
ABBY: This year, no resolutions, only some guidelines. The Holy Vedas say, 'Man
has subjected himself to thousands of self-inflicted bondages. Wisdom comes to a
man who lives according to the true eternal laws of nature.'

"The
following prayer of Saint Francis contains a powerful message:

"'Lord,
make me an instrument of your peace.

"'Where there is hatred, let me sow
love;

"'Where there is injury, pardon;

"'Where there is doubt,
faith.

"'Where there is despair, hope;

"'Where there is
darkness, light;

"'Where there is sadness, joy.

"'O Divine
Master, grant that I may not as much seek to be consoled as to console;

"'To be loved as to love.

"'For it is in giving that we are
pardoned;

"'It is in dying that we are born to eternal life."

No comments: