Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Potty Training? Don't Ask.

Grace is about to turn 3 1/2 this month, and we're really trying to get her to consistently use the toilet. She CAN poop and pee at will in the toilet, the trick is now to get her to WANT to. That's partially why I've been offline so much lately, I've been trying to stay on top of her for PT'ing. We want to get her into preschool this Fall, and she needs to be in the class without diapers.

So I've been on her all day, and she's been decent peeing in the toilet, I'd say about 80+% of the time this whole past week. I've been asking her to sit to poop since she SAID she had to poop. Sat her on toilet, told her now was the time. She refused. She JUST came to me to wipe her butt because she just pooped in her Pull-Up. I made her wipe some of it herself, I did the rest.

Here was our conversation throughout this incident:

Mommy: "Do you want to go to school this year? You're a big girl and it's almost time for preschool!"
Gracie: "I'm a big girl. I potty train."
Mommy: "Yes, and if you potty train, you can go to preschool."
Gracie: "I like school. I'm gonna be a big kid in preschool."
Mommy: "Only if you stop pooping in your pants. You HAVE to poop and pee in the toilet, you know how to do it. If you don't wear underwear and put all of your poop and pee in the toilet every time, then you can't go to school."
Gracie: "Mommy, I don't like your attitoob."

{{{sigh}}}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting them to 'want' to do it is the hardest part!!

Resa said...

I soooooo know what you are going through. Dylan know HOW he just doesn't want to. *sigh* Hang in there and hopefully she'll decide that it's a good idea. :)