In its third product recall since August, toy company Mattel and its subsidiary Fisher-Price today announced a recall of about 675,000 Barbie accessories, 90,000 Geo Trax locomotive toys, and 8,900 Bongo Band toy drum sets.
Surface paints on the toys contain excessive levels of lead, which violates the federal law prohibiting lead paint on children's toys. When ingested by young children, lead is toxic and can cause serious health effects.
Mattel's previous two recalls, on August 2 and August 14, also concerned lead paint hazards, as well as dangers related to small magnets.The toys in today's recall announcement include:
• Various Barbie accessories manufactured between September 30, 2006, and August 20, 2007. The model names, product numbers and affected date code numbers are listed here. The product and date code numbers are printed on the largest component of the toy sets. The Barbie toys were sold at retail stores nationwide from October 2006 through August 2007 for about $10.
• Geo Trax Freightway Transport and Geo Trax Special Track Pack locomotive toys. The toys are red with yellow paint on the ladder and horn details. The recalled models were manufactured between July 31, 2006, and August 20, 2007, and have a date code marked on the bottom that ranges from 212-6CK through 325-6CK or 001-7CK through 232-7CK. The packaging on the Freightway Transport is marked H5705 and on the Special Track Pack, K3013. The locomotive toys were sold at retail stores nationwide from September 2006 through August 2007 for between $3 and $16.
• "Big, Big World" 6-in-1 Bongo Band toys. The recalled toy drum sets come with two bongos. Both drums have a yellow and green plastic base; one has a blue surface and the other has an orange surface with the words "It's a Big, Big World" printed on it. The set includes a tambourine, a drumstick, and monkey- and bird-shaped accessories. The product number K9343 can be found inside the orange drum, and a date code between 139-7SH and 232-7SH is printed on the drum's orange ring surface. Only Bongo Band toy sets that have both the described product number and date code are included in this recall. The drum sets were sold at retail stores nationwide from July 2007 through August 2007 for about $20.
What you can do:
* Take the recalled toys away from your child immediately.
To find out how to return the toys for a free replacement, call Mattel's Fisher-Price hotline toll-free at (888) 496-8330 anytime.
* Get more information from Mattel online through the company's Consumer Relations Answer Center.
* Visit Mattel's safety recall information page to learn about what actions the company is taking in response to its recent recalls.
* See photos of the recalled Barbie accessories, Geo Trax train toys, and Bongo Band drum sets on the CPSC's website.
* Keep abreast of children's safety recalls by checking our recall finder.
-- Jenny Des Jarlais, BabyCenter News
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Wowsers, huh? I need to go check our Barbie stuff. I'm sure we've got some of the items this time around.